Posted by Jamie Oberdick on 04/11 at 08:30 AM
Tomorrow is practically a Central Pennsylvania holiday—first day of trout season! Our area is known across the country as a prime area for trout fishing, boasting legendary trout streams like Spruce Creek, Penn’s Creek, Bald Eagle Creek, and Black Moshannon Creek. Saturday these streams will be filled with anglers trying their luck.
There are three different species of trout to be caught in our streams, including brook, brown, and rainbow, and all are quite tasty. This recipe allows the trout’s flavor to stand more or less on its own, with assistance of two other tastes of spring, the grill and fresh local spinach.
Here is the recipe for Grilled Butterfly Trout Over Spinach (good luck tomorrow and hopefully you’ll catch something that will allow you to try this recipe!):
- Four trout, scaled, gutted, no head, and butterflied with skin on
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped flat Italian parsley
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh local spinach
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced garlic
- Heat grill to high or set charcoal grill grid on lowest support.
- Brush trout with oil on all sides
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, fresh ground pepper
- Turn stove to medium heat.
- In skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and add minced garlic and almonds.
- Stir almonds/garlic frequently while cooking for 3-4 minutes, using care not to burn almonds nor garlic.
- Add spinach and toss, stirring until spinach is thoroughly wilted, and set aside, covering to keep warm
- Put trout on grill, skin side down, and grill for 3 minutes until skin is slightly charred
- Flip trout, and grill for 3-4 minutes or until just cooked through, using care not to overcook.
- Put a serving of spinach on a plate, place trout on top.
- Squeeze lemon over trout, and serve with a good potato salad.
Author: Jamie Oberdick
Bio: Editor, Local Food Journey | Passionate about supporting local food in Central PA
Most recent entries
- Revisiting Republica’s March Release “Christiana Obey”
- Mack Wilds: Actor Turned Singer
- Iggy Azalea Releases New Club Banger “Leave It”
- 12 Songs for December
- Flashback to 1991: “How Can I Ease the Pain”
- Chris Brown Releases “X-Files” EP, Five New Songs Today
- Future’s New Music “Real and True” Video is Quite Odd
- Five Songs for November
- Langston’s Hughes’ Black Nativity Turned Film Set to Premiere Nov. 27th
- Blacklisted Me releases new ‘dark pop’ material
- Beiber’s New Single About Selena Gomez?
- My Top 10 Horror Film Themes
- On Repeat: 3 Songs I Can’t Stop Listening To
- Jhene Aiko to Release New EP & Album
- The Music of “Gravity”
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely
- Jessica Gold