Posted by Emily Wiley on 06/21 at 09:49 AM
Strawberry season is a short one. Or perhaps it’s no shorter than blueberry season or blackberry season, but because the strawberry is my favorite fruit, its season just can’t be long enough.
There is a distinct difference between strawberries picked from Pennsylvania patches and those harvested and shipped from California’s commercial fields.
Local berries are more vibrant, fragrant, and juicy. They’re smaller than their convenience store counterparts, but they pack a much brighter, sweeter flavor.
Baronner’s Farm Market in Hollidaysburg is just two miles from my house, and I’ve visited no less than six times since the first week of June. It was established in 1950 by the Baronner family and is currently operated by Robert and Kelly Baronner, third generation farmers.
The family farms fertile fields in rural Blair County and is well known for its strawberries and sweet corn. The berries (and corn) are homegrown, handpicked, and delivered direct from the farm to the market stand located on North Juniata Street.
The Baronners also welcome you to join them on the farm during picking season—sadly that small window of opportunity has already passed. But you can bet I’ll be there next June to enjoy my favorite fruit direct from its source.
Do you have a favorite strawberry recipe? Share it with the Local Food Journey! And check back later this week to find out what I’ve done with the boxes of berries I’ve bought.
Baronner’s Farm Market
1613 N Juniata Street
Hours of Operation
Monday through Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Author: Emily Wiley
Bio: WPSU Multimedia Producer | Wife and Mother | Lover of Food and Photography | One-Half of The Culinary Couple
Most recent entries
- Mack Wilds: Actor Turned Singer
- Iggy Azalea Releases New Club Banger “Leave It”
- 12 Songs for December
- Flashback to 1991: “How Can I Ease the Pain”
- Chris Brown Releases “X-Files” EP, Five New Songs Today
- Future’s New Music “Real and True” Video is Quite Odd
- Five Songs for November
- Langston’s Hughes’ Black Nativity Turned Film Set to Premiere Nov. 27th
- Blacklisted Me releases new ‘dark pop’ material
- Beiber’s New Single About Selena Gomez?
- My Top 10 Horror Film Themes
- On Repeat: 3 Songs I Can’t Stop Listening To
- Jhene Aiko to Release New EP & Album
- The Music of “Gravity”
- Justin Timberlake’s The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2: A Track By Track Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely
- Jessica Gold