Posted by Brittany Smith on 11/27 at 11:48 AM
Tis’ the season to break out those crazy holiday recipes, and let’s be thankful for the ones that work!
Every year, cranberries are the one ingredient that I can’t seem to find a place for. I love them, but can’t bear the sight of that cylindrical slab or goopy sauce. After a myriad of berry-big failures, I’ve vowed to take a lighter, simpler approach: a salad.
Any big dinner requires a lot of dish prepping time. If you’re like me, and want a quick way to incorporate holiday favorites, I encourage you to try this healthy option.
An added plus – a light salad saves room to gorge on the good stuff!
1 (5.5 oz) package mixed salad greens with spinach
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
3/4 cup glazed walnuts
1 (15 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
3/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese
1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
2 tbsp cranberry vinaigrette salad dressing, or to taste
Place the salad greens into a salad bowl, and sprinkle with dried cranberries, walnuts, mandarin orange slices, bleu cheese, and avocado chunks. Drizzle salad with dressing, toss and serve.
Tip: If you aren’t a fan of bleu cheese or mandarin, substitute another cheese, and try some seasonal apple slices instead.
Author: Brittany Smith
Bio: Brittany is a senior at Penn State majoring in advertising. She loves food and flavors and trying new recipes. Her dream is to produce advertising content for the Food Network, and possibly one day attend culinary school and become a chef.
Most recent entries
- Revisiting Republica’s March Release “Christiana Obey”
- Mack Wilds: Actor Turned Singer
- Iggy Azalea Releases New Club Banger “Leave It”
- 12 Songs for December
- Flashback to 1991: “How Can I Ease the Pain”
- Chris Brown Releases “X-Files” EP, Five New Songs Today
- Future’s New Music “Real and True” Video is Quite Odd
- Five Songs for November
- Langston’s Hughes’ Black Nativity Turned Film Set to Premiere Nov. 27th
- Blacklisted Me releases new ‘dark pop’ material
- Beiber’s New Single About Selena Gomez?
- My Top 10 Horror Film Themes
- On Repeat: 3 Songs I Can’t Stop Listening To
- Jhene Aiko to Release New EP & Album
- The Music of “Gravity”
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely
- Jessica Gold