Posted by Emily Wiley on 03/09 at 12:38 PM
This isn’t the first time I’ve made this dish, and it won’t be the last.
In How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman suggests quick glazing carrots in butter or oil with a variety of herbs for a flavorful side dish. You could use dill and lemon juice, brown sugar and walnuts, or maple syrup and pecans. But I especially like the combination of grated ginger and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.
Just before serving, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of orange zest.
This simple and versatile dish pairs well with everything from fish to chicken to pork chops — have fun with it!
1 lb carrots, trimmed and peeled, cut into coins or sticks
2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Combine all ingredients except lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and adjust heat so mixture simmers.
Cook, more or less undisturbed, until carrots are tender and liquid is almost gone, 10 to 20 minutes. Uncover and boil off remaining liquid, then add lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot, garnished with herbs, if you like.
(adapted from Mark Bittman)
Author: Emily Wiley
Bio: WPSU Multimedia Producer | Wife and Mother | Lover of Food and Photography | One-Half of The Culinary Couple
Most recent entries
- Revisiting Republica’s March Release “Christiana Obey”
- Mack Wilds: Actor Turned Singer
- Iggy Azalea Releases New Club Banger “Leave It”
- 12 Songs for December
- Flashback to 1991: “How Can I Ease the Pain”
- Chris Brown Releases “X-Files” EP, Five New Songs Today
- Future’s New Music “Real and True” Video is Quite Odd
- Five Songs for November
- Langston’s Hughes’ Black Nativity Turned Film Set to Premiere Nov. 27th
- Blacklisted Me releases new ‘dark pop’ material
- Beiber’s New Single About Selena Gomez?
- My Top 10 Horror Film Themes
- On Repeat: 3 Songs I Can’t Stop Listening To
- Jhene Aiko to Release New EP & Album
- The Music of “Gravity”
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely
- Jessica Gold