Posted by Jamie Oberdick on 02/14 at 11:11 AM
Friends & Farmers Cooperative, which is working to open a member-owned cooperative store that will specialize in local, sustainably-produced products, will begin taking members on March 2 at its Membership Kickoff Celebration at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Centre County.
Founding members will help build a store that will stock produce and products grown and prepared right here in Happy Valley, promote real food, and serve as the central hub of the local food economy. Simply stated, it’s a store that will feed our community.
The Kickoff Celebration on March 2 is a free event that will feature live music, speakers (including Mayor Elizabeth Goreham), kids activities, food, and door prizes. Community members will be able to invest as members or, for those new to the campaign, learn more. The event will take place from 3-6 p.m. A timeline of the afternoon (people are encouraged to drop in when they want) and details on how to RSVP will be available at http://www.friendsandfarmers.coop soon.
Membership in Friends & Farmers pertains to a household, with the member-owner receiving one vote at membership meetings and a year-end patronage dividend of net profits and up to three additional household members receiving all other member benefits, including special members-only promotions and discounts.
The equity investment can be made one of three ways:
1. One lump sum payment of $300
2. Three annual installments of $100 (plus a $10/year administrative fee). Members are entitled to all membership benefits with the first installment.
3. Ten annual installments of $30 (This extended payment plan is for members with limited incomes and may include members older than 65, students, members eligible for SNAP benefits, and anyone else who applies to join on this installment plan and meets certain eligibility requirements outlined by the Board of Directors.) Members are entitled to all membership benefits with the first installment.
With their investments, community members will help build a store that exists for the betterment of their community. They will own a piece of a revolution. At Friends & Farmers, you aren’t a customer, you’re an owner.
Author: Jamie Oberdick
Bio: Editor, Local Food Journey | Passionate about supporting local food in Central PA
Most recent entries
- Revisiting Republica’s March Release “Christiana Obey”
- Mack Wilds: Actor Turned Singer
- Iggy Azalea Releases New Club Banger “Leave It”
- 12 Songs for December
- Flashback to 1991: “How Can I Ease the Pain”
- Chris Brown Releases “X-Files” EP, Five New Songs Today
- Future’s New Music “Real and True” Video is Quite Odd
- Five Songs for November
- Langston’s Hughes’ Black Nativity Turned Film Set to Premiere Nov. 27th
- Blacklisted Me releases new ‘dark pop’ material
- Beiber’s New Single About Selena Gomez?
- My Top 10 Horror Film Themes
- On Repeat: 3 Songs I Can’t Stop Listening To
- Jhene Aiko to Release New EP & Album
- The Music of “Gravity”
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely
- Jessica Gold