Posted by Tony Ricci on 08/29 at 11:07 AM
The week wouldn’t be complete without a natural disaster. Last week we hit the jackpot with two – an earthquake and a hurricane – although it was our eastern neighbors who were most affected.
I didn’t feel the tremor that everyone else seems to have experienced. I was driving at the time and probably mistook any shimmy in the steering wheel for a bad tire.
My cynical side was kicking in while reading about all the local accounts of foundation cracks and window rattlings. I was getting the sense that people were feeling a little left out of the first major seismic event in their lifetime and everyone was scrambling to find evidence that they were affected by it. But then the other day our water pump started acting up. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but apparently the earth sashayed enough on our property to shake the walls of the well loose and cover the pump in a grave of sediment.
Now I can claim without hyperbole that the quake really did hit us. Of course, this is nothing compared to the self imposed disasters I seem to bring on myself on a daily basis while working on the farm. But running over irrigation just doesn’t have the same histrionic impact as a good old fashioned earthquake.
Did you feel the tremor last week?
New at Green Heron Farm This Week
Concord Grapes: The season is just starting, and we have a bumper crop.
Asian Pears: Some of these are a little dimpled, but they’re still delicious. We have two sizes because I never got aroung to thinning the trees.
Author: Tony Ricci
Bio: Co-owner and operator of Green Heron Farm in southern Huntingdon County | Provides year-round supplies of local, organic vegetables (retail and wholesale) across central Pennsylvania
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan