Posted by Erin Donahue on 01/27 at 04:21 PM
Did you resolve to eat healthier in 2011? If so, Nature’s Pantry can help keep you on track.
Located in State College, Nature’s Pantry is a full-service health food store that sells items ranging from herbal supplements to local produce. They also carry beauty aids, essential oils, teas, and pet products.
Owner Michele Briggs strives to be an educational resource for residents of central Pennsylvania. During a recent shopping trip to Michele’s pantry, I was astonished by the organic selection inside the store.
Herbs and spices fill the shelves from top to bottom, and although I was unfamiliar with many of the products, the staff at Nature’s Pantry was welcoming and answered all of my questions. Before I could even mutter the question, “Do you have ...?” They responded, “Aisle six.”
All of Nature’s Pantry’s staff endures extensive training on the products they carry. “My staff is very knowledgeable,” says Michele. “Many are previous cooks or caterers.”
Nature’s Pantry recently moved to a new location and now has more room to provide educational seminars and classes, such as raw food instruction.
Michele says that many diseases of our modern culture are connected to what we eat. Nature’s Pantry hopes to provide customers with information about natural foods, vitamins, and herbs. They also have a desire to support the local economy by identifying and selling quality regional products.
“We work with as many local producers as we can. I try to send my staff to farmers markets as much as possible,” ensures Michele.
Nature’s Pantry’s current popular items are quinoa, a grain grown primarily for its edible seeds, and other high protein, gluten-free products. Michele also sells a lot of detox products. “These products definitely peek after the first of the year,” she says.
In addition to food seminars and cooking workshops, Michele hopes to reach out to more of the Penn State student population in the future.
Nature’s Pantry has monthly in-store events posted on their website, as well as recipes, nutritional information, and store specials.
2331 Commercial Boulevard
State College, PA 16801
Monday: 10am - 6pm
Tuesday: 10am - 8pm
Wednesday: 10am - 6pm
Thursday: 10am - 8pm
Friday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Author: Erin Donahue
Bio: Erin is a senior at Penn State majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in sociology. She's excited to share her passion for food, writing, and multimedia.
Most recent entries
- Introducing the Blue Robot Summer Writers
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan