Posted by Joe Chuba on 11/28 at 10:07 AM
Nittany Lion play-by-play voice Steve Jones on the end Penn State’s regular season as it looks ahead to bowl selection.
You can’t win a game on the road turning the ball over four times and giving up 24 points off of those turnovers. It is an impossible formula. Wisconsin is a dangerous team on offense to begin with without constantly giving them a short field to work with.
It was a day where the Nittany Lions could not get much going. It started so well with a 7-0 lead but the key plays were the interception by Shelton Johnson at midfield and the Michael Zordich fumble at the end of the half. When that fumble happened it sealed Penn State’s fate.
Two of the turnovers were on special teams which meant the defense had to go out for back to back possessions.
Wisconsin has a great offensive team. The balance is as advertised and quarterback Russell Wilson is accurate and understands when to run and make plays. Their rematch with Michigan State will be interesting.
Now Penn State awaits its bowl fate. Obviously the last thing I ever thought I would ever have to do this season was argue that this team would deserve a bowl bid, but this is a time unlike any other in college football history.
Through all of this the players and the coaches have represented this university with class and integrity. They have been asked to go through things they never expected. They have had to react to questions no person is ever prepared to answer. The 18-22 year olds have handled each question with a maturity beyond their years. They played the Nebraska, Ohio State and Wisconsin games under great pressure. The Nebraska game showed guts, the Ohio State game showed heart, the Wisconsin game was one to forget. Yet, through it all they showed how close they are, what kind of leadership they have and how deserving they are to continue their season.
This is not a great team, it is a very good team. The bowl that selects them will end up being very proud they made the choice. That bowl game will end up with a team with a lot of character, leadership, ability, desire and class. The bowl that selects Penn State will end up with a team that will represent its university, its conference and the game of college football in a way that will make everyone proud.
Author: Joe Chuba
Bio: Sports Producer for WPSU-TV
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan