Posted by Emily Wiley on 08/30 at 11:46 AM
It seems like just yesterday that we planted our first garden of peppers, tomatoes, and herbs. But now, in late August, the tomato vines are browning and the basil leaves are wilting.
Before our backyard trees turn shades of auburn and gold, we celebrated the end of summer with pesto pizza.
Traditional pesto uses pine nuts, but we didn’t have any on hand, so we substituted toasted almonds. We combined basil, almonds, garlic, Parmesan cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg (yes, nutmeg!) in the food processor until a coarse paste formed.
We spread it onto pizza dough and topped it with sliced garden tomatoes and chunks of mozzarella cheese.
While the pizza baked and filled the house with the savory aroma of an Italian restaurant, we sipped homebrews and watched Steelers football. In just 20 minutes, we had hot, delicious homemade (and mostly homegrown) pizza.
How are you using up the last of your summer produce?
Ingredients for Pesto
1/4 cup almonds
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pinch ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Pesto
Toast almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. In a food processor, combine toasted almonds, garlic, basil, cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Process until a coarse paste is formed.
Spread onto pizza dough or mix with your favorite pasta and enjoy!
Author: Emily Wiley
Bio: WPSU Multimedia Producer | Wife and Mother | Lover of Food and Photography | One-Half of The Culinary Couple
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan