Posted by Jamie Oberdick on 10/14 at 07:00 AM
The humble pumpkin at one time was known for being just two things - a front porch decoration and a pie. Also, unless you lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country like I did as a kid and saw “neck pumpkins,” pumpkins were always orange and round.
However, if you get into gardening and look at seed catalogs, you know that pumpkins come in all sizes and colors. Some examples:
- The old-fashioned traditional look of the Connecticut Field Pumpkin, an old jack-o-lantern favorite.
- The Cinderella’s carriage shape and red-orange color of the Rouge Vif d’Etampes, a French variety.
- The what’s-wrong-with-that-thing warty look of the Galeuse d’Eysines, another French variety that is delicious in soups.
- The black color and delicious taste of the Thai, yes, Thai Large Pumpkin.
- And my personal favorite, the afore-mentioned Amish neck pumpkin, which as any Amish baker will tell you is superior to others for pies, cakes, and other baking. It gets its name due to looking like a stretched out butternut squash.
Pumpkins are not just for pies and a quick search on the Internet on pumpkin recipes will land you a variety of ideas from non-pie desserts to soups to main courses. I didn’t get as many this year as I have in the past in my garden, but with the amount of pumpkins I normally harvest, I usually am looking for unique pumpkin recipes.
I enjoy making soups out of them, making casseroles, and pumpkin chili. What? Pumpkin chili?
Yes, that’s right, pumpkin chili. It’s a delicious twist on the usual chili, and quite easy to make - all you need to do is add one to two cups unsweetened pumpkin puree, either from your garden or via a can, to your standard chili recipe. The pumpkin adds a slight sweet flavor and very nice texture that is quite good.
In fact, nothing beats a football game and a bowl of pumpkin chili on a fall day.
Author: Jamie Oberdick
Bio: Editor, Local Food Journey | Passionate about supporting local food in Central PA
Most recent entries
- Revisiting Republica’s March Release “Christiana Obey”
- Mack Wilds: Actor Turned Singer
- Iggy Azalea Releases New Club Banger “Leave It”
- 12 Songs for December
- Flashback to 1991: “How Can I Ease the Pain”
- Chris Brown Releases “X-Files” EP, Five New Songs Today
- Future’s New Music “Real and True” Video is Quite Odd
- Five Songs for November
- Langston’s Hughes’ Black Nativity Turned Film Set to Premiere Nov. 27th
- Blacklisted Me releases new ‘dark pop’ material
- Beiber’s New Single About Selena Gomez?
- My Top 10 Horror Film Themes
- On Repeat: 3 Songs I Can’t Stop Listening To
- Jhene Aiko to Release New EP & Album
- The Music of “Gravity”
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely
- Jessica Gold