Posted by Brittany Smith on 11/02 at 11:04 AM
Carving pumpkins is a great family activity, but if you’ve had experiences like mine, the large mess it leaves behind is such a hassle to clean. After all the time spent effortfully cutting and sawing, usually, the inner guts are gratefully tossed into the trashcan.
Thankfully, my mom taught me this salty little secret when I was growing up and it led us to having yearly masterpieces on the porch and in the kitchen. It’s so simple and delicious how the flavors marry to create an Autumn-style sunflower seed.
The best thing about this recipe is that it will work with plenty of other seedy seasonals – in my opinion, most tastefully with butternut squash.
1 ½ cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons butter, melted
1 pinch salt
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
After removing seeds from gut strands, clean if desired. Toss seeds in a bowl with the melted butter and salt. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for roughly 45 minutes or until dried to a golden brown; stir occasionally.
That’s it! After your first try, start putting your own spin on it. Choosing seasoned butter or pre-boiling the seeds in salted water will intensify the appetizing combination.
Test tip: A couple minutes before removing the seeds from the oven, sprinkle on a pinch of sugar to add a sweet variation to the salty flavor. For a lighter taste, use butter-flavored cooking spray.
Author: Brittany Smith
Bio: Brittany is a senior at Penn State majoring in advertising. She loves food and flavors and trying new recipes. Her dream is to produce advertising content for the Food Network, and possibly one day attend culinary school and become a chef.
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan