Posted by Emily Wiley on 07/17 at 10:00 AM
Don’t you love Saturday mornings? When mugs of coffee and magazines replace alarm clocks and commutes.
My husband typically takes charge of weekend breakfasts. He tops waffles with blueberries and raspberries and powdered sugar and serves them alongside maple sausage links. Or he flips chocolate chip pancakes as big as the skillet and fills tall glasses with milk.
But, occasionally, I relieve him of his breakfast duties, and I want to share with you my go-to dish.
A frittata is a simple egg dish that starts on the stove top and and ends under the broiler. And it’s an ideal way to use leftover produce from the market or your CSA share.
What’s your favorite seasonal Saturday morning breakfast?
8 eggs (for a 12-inch skillet)
half and half
salt and pepper
herbs and produce of your choice
your favorite cheese
Start the broiler. Then add 1 tablespoon of oil to a skillet over medium heat. Sauté raw vegetables and meats with herbs and spices.
Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and half and half. Add half of the cheese to the eggs, and pour the mixture into the skillet. Cook eggs for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom with a spatula. When eggs are mostly cooked, but still wet, stop stirring and cook for another minute to set.
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, and put the skillet under the broiler. It will brown in just 2-4 minutes Remove the skillet from the oven and let sit for about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
Author: Emily Wiley
Bio: WPSU Multimedia Producer | Wife and Mother | Lover of Food and Photography | One-Half of The Culinary Couple
Most recent entries
- Introducing the Blue Robot Summer 2013 Writers
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan