Posted by Erin Donahue on 03/22 at 11:40 AM
The Autoport on South Atherton Street has been a staple in State College for over 70 years. Since the 1940s, the Autoport has evolved from a service station that repairs cars into a restaurant and lodge. Today it has a reputation for serving fresh food and offering exceptional hospitality.
Walking into the lobby of the Autoport, we first noticed the welcoming decor. The atmosphere felt warm with dark wood and leopard print chairs. The bar had a similar style with metallic colored walls.
We had the option of sitting inside or outside on the deck. The deck at the Autoport has plenty of tables and chairs along with an outdoor bar and fire pit overlooking a pool. We chose to sit outside on that beautiful March day, which made our lunch even more enjoyable.
The lunch menu has a variety of appetizers, soups, salads, and sandwiches. I ordered the Turkey Bacon Melt with turkey, cheddar cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on wheat bread. Christina ordered a Maryland Crab Cake Sandwich with lettuce, and tomato. Along with our sandwiches, we got fresh, crunchy homemade potato chips.
The Autoport supports locally grown, organic produce and strives to use fresh seasonal ingredients when available. The restaurant works with Bergenblick Farm in Linden Hall, Green Grove Garden in Boalsburg, and Black Walnut Farm in Potter Township. They also buy from Hogs Galore, Fasta Ravioli Company, and Otto’s Pub and Brewery.
The Autoport offers an extensive breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks menus, and they are also available for catering.
Author: Erin Donahue
Bio: Erin is a senior at Penn State majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in sociology. She's excited to share her passion for food, writing, and multimedia.
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan