Posted by Carly Mallenbaum on 04/29 at 03:34 PM
Next Friday, April 30 is “The Last Stop,” a music festival to be held at 6:30 p.m. at the HUB lawn. Tickets to the show are FREE. The headliners for the festival were just announced, so I decided to talk to two of my music-loving friends (who are in my apartment right now) about what they think of the bands chosen to play (you can click on the bands and songs to go to different pages):
Ali: I have their MySpace up. Let’s see… they have a very heavy band… and equally intense vocals. A unique sound, though. It makes me want to fight someone.
Jason: No idea what that is.
Me: I hadn’t heard this band before I found out they were coming to PSU, but they sound pretty Marilyn Manson-like. Not something I’m usually into, however I would love to do a modern dance to My Song Recommendation: Beautiful People
Ali: I love State Radio. I saw them Freshman year and they were great live. They are very politically driven.
Jason: Reggae rock. I like them. I didn’t like a lot of songs on the new album, though.
Me: I’m a fan of Dispatch, but I’ve never really gotten into State Radio. They deserve a chance, though. I especially like My Song Recommendation: Right Me Up
Ali: I like Fabolous. I mean he’s old school, but it’s kind of random. When did Holla Back even come out?
Jason: I only know the one song, It’s My Time.
Me: It’s hard to disassociate Fabolous from Young’n (Holla Back). I definitely remember choreographing dances to that song with my friends to be performed Bar/Bat Mitzvah parties. Good times. But now I can break it down to My Song Recommendation: Return of the Hustle
Matt & Kim
Ali: Doodoo doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo (singing the tune of the hit Daylight)
Jason: They’re pretty good. I’m interested to see how they’re gonna be live and see how their act translates.
Me: After hearing Matt & Kim’s song Daylight on that Bicardi commercial, there was no denying the duo. Although the pair’s keyboard/drum songs all sound pretty similar, they do sound good. I imagine their performance would have a lot of fun and energy behind it. Matt & Kim’s CD is probably what that cheesing kid in headphones is listening to while he’s walking to class. My Song Recommendation: Lessons Learned
Author: Carly Mallenbaum
Bio: Carly Mallenbaum is a junior majoring in Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Law and Liberal Arts. At any given time, you will likely find her dancing, running, reading, playing soccer, or listening to music with her huge green headphones. She loves many types of music, specifically alternative rock and anything she can dance to. Some artists she likes are John Mayer Trio, Coldplay, Vampire Weekend, Justin Timberlake, G. Love, Spoon, and The Beatles.
Most recent entries
- A Review of Arthur Goldstein’s June 15 Concerts at The State Theatre
- Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails resurface with the release of “Came Back Haunted”
- June 15: Arthur Goldstein Festival, Intersections, at The State Theatre
- Warped Tour - The Good and the Bad
- Now That’s (Not) What I Call Music: Not Being “Black” Enough & How Guns N’ Roses Changed My Life
- 10 Underrated Beatles Songs
- Album Review: “Latch” on to Disclosure’s Debut, “Settle”
- A look at Chronic Town
- The Wonder Years Rock the Suburbs with New Album “The Greatest Generation”
- Get Sucked in by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs’s new album, “Mosquito”
- Start the Month of June with These Tunes
- A Guide for the Summer Concert Season
- You are Human and You Need to be Loved: A Reflection on Two Songs by The Smiths
- Emerging Artist: Chrvrches
- Marina and the Diamonds & Charli XCX Join Forces on “Just Desserts”
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Kayla Tooma
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan
- Shamir Lee
- Brandon Vesely