Posted by Emily Wiley on 05/11 at 03:25 PM
Have you tried white asparagus? It is slightly milder and more tender than green asparagus and is considered to be the more “gourmet” option of the two. The process for growing it, however, is quite easy.
Both green and white asparagus come from the same seed; white asparagus is simply deprived of sunlight. Dirt is piled on top of the plant, which eliminates chlorophyll production and prevents it from turning green.
Either white or green asparagus may be used in this salad recipe, though the white provides a nice color contrast to the arugula, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
Don’t forget to share your own asparagus recipe before Tuesday, May 31st for your chance to win a $25 gift certificate to Tait Farm Foods!
1 lb white asparagus
extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 lb shitake mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chopped tarragon leaves
salt and pepper
1/2 lb arugula
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 quart of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a bowl with ice water and place it near the sink.
Place asparagus in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until barely limp. Immediately transfer asparagus to ice bath for 5 minutes to stop the cooking process.
Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook about 2 minutes until mushrooms begin to brown. Add tarragon, salt, pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
Arrange sliced tomatoes and a handful of arugula on each salad plate. Top with asparagus spears and drizzle with shitake dressing.
(adapted from the Food Network)
Author: Emily Wiley
Bio: WPSU Multimedia Producer | Wife and Mother | Lover of Food and Photography | One-Half of The Culinary Couple
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan