Posted by Michele Frank on 11/23 at 01:04 PM
Monday night football was on the television, and the guys were at my place with their eyes glued to the screen. Anxious to have new recipe test subjects, I proposed that I make some food. However, when I mentioned squash, a loud groan echoed throughout my apartment.
“Why can’t we just order wings?” and “Really? Vegetables for a football game?” But I stood my ground, and finally they admitted that free food was better than no food at all.
After pulling the quiche out of the oven, I left the room for five minutes. When I came back there was a huge chunk missing, and nobody would fess up to the crime. I guess vegetables for a football game were not such a bad idea after all.
1 9-inch frozen pastry crust
1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
3 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup winter squash, cooked and pureed
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake the frozen pastry crust for 5-7 minutes, or until slightly browned.
While the crust is baking, in a small skillet sauté the chopped onions with the butter. Remove the crust from the oven and fill it with the cheese and cooked onions.
In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, squash, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Mix well and pour the mixture into the pastry shell.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325°, and bake the quiche for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Author: Michele Frank
Bio: Michele is a senior at Penn State majoring in print journalism. She loves to cook for her friends and family, and wishes to make a career out of her hobby. She spent last summer working for Gulfshore Life Magazine in Naples, Fla.
Most recent entries
- Ring in the New Year with Katie Herzig’s Latest Album, “The Waking Sleep”
- 2013 Will Be Ellie Goulding’s Year
- Penn State’s Movin’ On music festival announces MGMT as the Headliner
- Asher Roth and The White Panda Bring The Party at Alumni Hall Last Friday
- Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s Revamped Album - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded The Re-Up
- Asher Roth and The White Panda are Bringing the Party to Penn State TONIGHT (12/7)
- ‘Tis The Season! Some Songs to Put You in the Holiday Spirit
- The Party Girl Is Back: Ke$ha’s Latest Single, “Die Young”
- Album Review: Delilah’s Debut Album “From The Roots Up”
- More Music to Discover Over the Holiday: Flight Facilities
- Album Review: Matt & Kim Release Thunderous New Album, “Lightning”
- Marina and the Diamonds’ Latest Single Gives a Guide To Breaking Hearts
- The UK’s Latest and Greatest: Emeli Sandé
- Springsteen and his E Street Band Rocked The BJC
- A Slice of Jamaica: The Toots and the Maytals at The State Theatre, 11/5/12 - A Review
- Stephen Smith
- Alexandra Voigt
- Chelsea Sweithelm
- Nathan Etter
- Charlee Redman
- Natalie Plumb
- John Hendrickson
- Michael Giannelli
- Carly Mallenbaum
- Ryan Chase
- Pat Baxter
- Marcus Correll
- Aaron Wynne
- Mike Hobson
- Samantha Hatfield
- Brian McFarland
- Lindsay Carolla
- Johnny Chadwick
- Devin Weakland
- Ryan Kappy
- Stephanie Williams
- Christopher Will
- David Porter Callanan
- Matt D'Ippolito
- Karen Marchuska
- Rachel Garman
- Brittany Barth
- Mike Moynahan