Join the Folk Show for a tribute to the late, great Townes Van Zandt, who passed away 15 years ago (on January 1, 1997).
I’ll be posting some references to stories told during the show as well as some resources for those wanting to learn more about Townes here afterwards.
I hope you can join us for this show!
I hope you enjoyed the Townes Van Zandt tribute show tonight (Jan 7, 2012)! If you want to learn more about the life of Townes Van Zandt, here are some places to start:
“Townes Van Zandt - Be Here to Love Me”, a 2005 film by Margaret Brown. It’s available on DVD. (It includes segments from a much earlier documentary “Heartworn Highways”, which is very hard to find.)
“A Deeper Blue: The Life and Music of Townes Van Zandt” by Robert Earl Hardy, University of North Texas Press, 2008.
For reflections on Townes’ music by other musicians, check out the just released 2012 book, “I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt” by Brian T. Atkinson (Texas A&M University Press.)
There are many YouTube videos of Townes and others playing Townes music - well worth some time exploring! Here’s a beautiful version of If I Needed You by Emmylou Harris & Steve Earle followed by an old video of Townes himself singing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SysBazd50D8&feature=related
The Townes Van Zandt Memorial page: http://uspest.org/coopl/tvzmem.html
Here are the citations for the quotations used in the Jan 7, 2012 Townes’ tribute show:
* Townes’ quotation at the beginning (”... it takes blowing everything off ...”): from documentary “Townes Van Zandt: Be Here to Love Me”.
*John Gorka quotation about “Pancho & Lefty” - “I’ll Be Here in the Morning” (p. 119).
* The Nanci Griffith quotations about “Tecumseh Valley” came from live concerts shown in these two YouTube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTEk0W6xE4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXMTq9hJ3Ow
* Joe Ely story: in both the documentary “Townes Van Zandt: Be Here to Love Me” and in “A Deeper Blue” (p. 87).
* Guy Clark comment about having booked this gig 30 years ago: in the documentary “Townes Van Zandt: Be Here to Love Me” and “A Deeper Blue” (p. 266).
* Steve Earle quotation about Townes being “the best damn songwriter in the world” - “A Deeper Blue” (p. 3)
* Lyle Lovett quotation about performing Townes’ songs - “I’ll Be Here in the Morning” (p. 115).
* Townes’ quotation about “I think my life will run about before my work does ..”: “Townes Van Zandt: Be Here to Love Me”.
* Justin Townes Van Zandt quotation about his father: “A Deeper Blue” (p. 269)
View the Folk Show playlist when it’s posted (in a few days) to see the full list of songs played on the show.