Tips for Tough Times from the Penn State Extension Experts
- Solution Source
Find tips on budgeting, family living, parenting, nutrition, and more.
- Financial Security: Managing Money in Tough Times
Access a complete collection of articles on all types of family stress.
Get resources on how to live well now and into the future.
What Happened to our Housing Market?
- Crisis of Credit
Watch this short video describing the events which led to today’s housing crisis.
Loans and Mortgages
- Tax Credit Advance Loan Program (TCA)
TCA provides a federal credit of up to $8,000 for first-time homebuyers purchasing a between January 1-November 30, 2009.
- Shopping for a loan?
Use this guide to finding the best mortgage.
- Rural Development Housing Programs
Find homeownership opportunities to qualifying rural Americans.
- 12 Refinancing Rules Handout from MidPenn Legal Services
- Refinance to an Affordable Loan (REAL) Program
Less than 59 days past due on your mortgage payment? You may be eligible for the REAL Program. You can also call 1-800-822-1174.
- Federal Housing Authority (FHA) Mortgage
Streamline the refinancing of your FHA Mortgage.
- Homeowner’s Equity Recovery Opportunity (HERO) Program
More than 60 days past due on your mortgage payment? You may be eligible for the HERO Program. You can also call 1-800-822-1174.
- Homeowner’s Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (HEMAP)
If you do not qualify for the REAL or HERO Programs and are 60 days or more delinquent with mortgage payments, apply immediately to HEMAP.
- HEMAP Approved Agencies
- Avoiding Foreclosure
Check out this helpful brochure.
- A Guide to Bankruptcy from MidPenn Legal Services
- HOPE NOW
Visit this collaboration of counselors, mortgages companies, investors, and other mortgage market participants unified to help families stay in the homes.
More Information for Homeowners
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Find information on buying, owning, selling, renting, renovating, and foreclosure.
- Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency
Find information for Pennsylvania homeowners, homebuyers, and renters about loans and refinancing.
- Here to Help
Access resources for Pennsylvanians aimed to lower utility bills, provide foreclosure prevention assistance, offer programs for emergency aid, and more.
- Centre County Affordable Housing Coalition